Friday, March 27, 2009

Japchae recipe

So the basic idea, as expounded in our textbook:

Ingredients (amounts are just what I used, guessing):
Beef (150g)
Onion (2 medium white)
Carrots (2 large)
Mushrooms (on sale, maybe 15-20 small oyster mushrooms, but use whatever)
Bell peppers (2 very small, 1 red, 1 green)
Sweet potato vermicelli, it's kind of translucent when cooked (used about 2/3 of a 500g bag, could probably have used all of it if I'd had big enough pans and dishes)
Water
Soy sauce (to taste?)
(Brown) Sugar (to taste?)
Sesame oil (to taste?)

Added myself:
Minced ginger (1 Tbsp?)
Spinach (a bunch)


First, cut beef into 5mm (square, it should be an inch or more long in the 3rd dimension) slices. (I used 150g of beef for this, the butcher pre-sized it for me when I told him what I was making.)

Next, mix the beef with soy sauce and sugar. (I also added minced ginger and sesame seeds, and used brown sugar; didn't seem to hurt, not sure how much it helped.)

Next, chop onion, bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms into 5mm (square) slices. (I wasn't too careful with size, doesn't seem to be a huge problem...)

Fry the veggies with a little bit of oil (duh). (I went for softened, but not limp, so started the carrots and onions while chopping the rest, then added them, fried until good.)

Remove the veggies and fry the beef in the same pan.

Meanwhile heat water to boiling, add noodles, cook until soft, and then drain off the water.

When everything is cooked, mix together with soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. (And a bunch of torn spinach, for my variation. It didn't hurt at all...)

And you're done!

You have made Japchae. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home